Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Battling with Bed Rest?

So you're pregnancy gets a little tricky. Maybe you've had subchorionic bleeding or spotting like me. Your doctor probably gave you prescription for gamot na pampakapit, and a go signal for BED REST. Wow! Weeks of absolutely doing nothing but staying in bed? Who could be happier right? 

Well after a few days of bed rest duties the perks just didn't seem that great. Sure, I was given the royal treatment by my husband and everyone else in the house but I found myself battling with boredom and wishing it were all over. I began to miss going out, working, and playing with our rabbits Drizzle and Zorro (yep we got pet rabbits) who were as a general rule only allowed inside the house if they stayed downstairs. 



Imagine my frustration as I missed some important events in my social calendar. To make it worse, my 2-week bed rest dragged on to a whole month because of persistent spotting. Negative emotions piled on top of each other like morning sickness waiting to come out in one big lurch: worry--for my baby and our health, helplessness--since I couldn't find a satisfying answer as to why I had spotting, guilt--that I couldn't work to help my husband with the finances and household chores (though he kept assuring me I had nothing to worry about and that our new helper could very well handle the housekeeping). There were moments when, given just the right trigger, sent me crying like a heartbroken teen. Blame it on the hormonal changes. So how should one survive the bed rest challenge? I've listed some activities and ideas below: (Note: Some women have more bed rest privileges than others. Remember to follow your doc's orders ALWAYS.)


1. Blog. Start a pregnancy  journal or, if not, simply write about what you love. Blogging can give you an avenue to express your joys, confusions, worries, and whatnot. If you're not so keen on writing then reading other blogs can be fun too...which brings me to my next tip.      


2. Read up! There are so many things to learn about pregnancy especially if you're a newbie. Ask your family   and friends to buy you pregnancy books and magazines, or simply browse the internet to get loads of info. If you don't want to focus on being pregnant just yet, grab a good novel or the newspaper.  


3. Join an online community. And I don't mean just Facebook. Participate in forum threads that mean something to you. I personally find reading pregnancy and parenting forums entertaining. They lessen the loneliness and isolation since you get to read  about other pregnant women's concerns too. It helps to see that you're not alone in your battle. 


For some candid yet useful forum chatting with others like us, try my favorite http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk . (I used to read a lot about their wedding threads too.) 


4. Have your friends come over and have a mini bedroom party! You need people to cheer you up and feel as if you're not in a prison cell. Call your bff's for some food and fun time. Booze should be banned though.


5. Play video/online games with the hubby (who knows, maybe you'll beat his top score!). Now would be a good time to load up on bonding with your better half. For most couples, cuddling and snuggling in each other's arms won't be as often when the baby comes.   


6. Get a hobby that doesn't require munch movement and can be done in bed. Some examples are creative writing, beaded-jewelry making, some form of needlework, etc.


7. Make lists! Make a list of baby names, baby things you'd need to save up for, your favorite recipes, important phone numbers, etc.


8. Get hooked on a TV series or have a movie marathon. Watch some of your old DVD's or borrow from people.
  
9. Be a beauty even in bed. Being in bed the whole day doesn't mean you have to look like a tired, old hag. Put on makeup in case of walk-in visitors, hydrate your skin with some lotion, paint your nails.  Maintain a beauty ritual as long as you're not disobeying the doctor's orders. 


10. Pray to God. Prayer always helps. During quieter times there will be moments in pregnancy where you may feel that really, your baby's life and yours, aren't in your hands. Meditative prayer is a good source for strength and inner peace, which we need, to cope with the many changes that are happening and will continue to happen in our lives. 


Peace!


P.S. Got other ideas on battling bed rest boredom? Do share in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment